Britty - My Vegan Life

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Dumdums!

Candi and I always go to the restaurant The Teapot. They always gave us dumdums and we never knew if they were vegan! I did not want to take the risk because I know a lot of candies use gelatin. "Some candies are made from things like gelatin, which is mashed up cow skin, cartilage, and bones. And carmine, the red coloring used in some candies, is made from ground-up bugs." GROSS. x_x When I finally remembered to look up the ingredients, I found out that they were only made of: sugar, corn syrup, citric acid, malic acid, salt, and artificial colors. YAY! I'm thrilled because I love dumdums. :D

I had to look up malic acid and citric acid since I wasn't sure about those and I found out citric acid only comes from citrus fruits, and malic acid comes from plants or animals. I kept researching malic acid until I went through PETA and found out that all the ingredients in dumdums are vegan. :)

3 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Yay for Dum Dums! I always have liked 'em... watermelon especially!

Way to be vigilant and look into the ingredients, Britty.

I am sorry to say that i used to eat marshmallows and tried Starburst long ago, but I have never had Skittles in my life. Gelatin - YUCK!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Razzle said...

DumDums make you smart! If you don't believe it, just look at Britty! She's a smart (vegan) cookie.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

I don't understand HOW those ingredients are even legal! Ek!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home