Britty - My Vegan Life

Monday, April 02, 2007

Feral Cats!

Our neighbor (the person who lives above us) is great! :P She is very sweet to us and the feral cats who live in the woods! It all started by some people dumping off cats they didn't want. Our neighbor was quick to start feeding them and putting beds and little houses out for them. :) She takes all the cats that are not fixed and spays/neuters them so they can't keep having more and more babies. She also tries to find them homes, but most of the cats are full grown and have been living in the woods for a long time so people don't want them. :( Luckily, one of the kittens (I named Cookie!) found a home. She's really cute and I have been trying to socialize her to lure her out. She is getting better but this is going to take a while!

I fell in love with these cats at first sight! There is a very cute one named Daisy that I love but my favorite is Boots. He is a small dark gray with black stripes and huge yellow eyes, and always greets me when I go outside to give the kitties treats. :) I usually go outside and help feed the cats, give them treats, socialize them, or just play with them! (Candi was laughing and said it looked like I had no friends because I'm always playing with the cats! :P)

A lot of the cats live in the shop next to our place, but go outside so people seem to think they can just take any cat they want. Our neighbor's cat, Daisy, was taken by a group of kids and it took her four days just to get her back! Grr! I am so worried about Boots being taken because the kids also took two other cats and keep coming back. Luckily though, our neighbor is going to put up a "No Trespassing" sign so our kitties will be safe from these people!

Here is Boots:


Some of the cats have Feline Leukemia which is an non-treatable disease that can kill cats. There are two stages of the leukemia: "Primary viremia, an early stage of virus infection. During this stage some cats are able to mount an effective immune response, eliminate the virus from the bloodstream, and halt progression to the secondary viremia stage. Secondary viremia, a later stage characterized by persistent infection of the bone marrow and other tissue. If FeLV infection progresses to this stage it has passed a point of no return: the overwhelming majority of cats with secondary viremia will be infected for the remainder of their lives." *1 Feline Leukemia can be transfered by a infected cat to another though urine, milk, saliva, biting the uninfected cat, and by eating together. Sadly, there are some cats here who definitely have this sickness. The cats' life span with Leukemia is unpredictable. It can be from 3 years to 9 months. One good thing is that they have had Boots and Daisy tested and they do not have it! Yay! :)

I want to adopt Boots so much! He already likes the dogs and he loves trying to sneak into our house every time I open the door! Awww! He is short-haired so it won't bother Candi's allergies. He doesn't meow much at all, and also he is just has the best personality! :P I hope Candi gives in...hehehe!

"Give in to me, Candi!"


*1 source: Get more info here about Feline Leukemia

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Candi said...

I'm giving in to that Boots-cuteness. *achoo!* But it's killing me!!!!! :P

You're a good lion tamer! Socialize them all!!

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Razzle said...

wow Britty - you sure have done a lot of research. I'm glad all the cats are being taken care of. It's sad that some of them have leukemia, but I'm sure you are making their days happier. And Boots is especially cute! :)

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger bazu said...

That is really cool, Britty. Here in central NY, there are some feral cat rescue organizations (I'm going to blog about one of their events soon) and I really support what they do: support the cats, and also help have them spayed/neutered.

I hope for your sake that Candi gives in because Boots is a cutie! Aww.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Johanna3 said...

nice cat!! soon i will have one too!

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Aw, cute kitty!!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Valentina said...

you much cuteness.. cats are so adorable

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger XxhexerxX said...

aawww... glad to see that you are having fun already ^^

candi better give in to cute boots ^^

{amanda}

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Candi said...

I have given in. He is so spoiled... for now. :)

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger dave said...

Hello Brit,
I have read what you have written on your blogs and I am both impressed and proud with how mature you are. You are an incredible young woman and if you continue on the path you are on some day you will do great things.
i hope to read more of your great blogs in the future.
Dave aka:Bryan Adams

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Gaia said...

Ah Britty, I have heard about Boots but I hadn't seen his cute face !

You are so good to help cats the way you do :)

Great, great post !

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Candi said...

Hi Britty!
Your blog is SO damn good that I think I'm going to PRINT it and bring copies of it home for further reading! LOL!

Don't be spooked out by that old lady and the foolish gossip you have been hearing. You have lots of fans here, and your blog is adorable!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Britty said...

YAY! You're giving in!

Hi 'Razzle!' It was so sad to see them all out in the snow so I a made a bed for them and put it outside. :P I would come home and 5 cats would run out of it!

Aw. That's great, Bazu. :)

Hello Dave! Thanks for the nice comment and for stopping by my blog.

Gaia!!! I missed you. :) Yeah, now you get to see him! He is so cute in those photos when he was posing for us. :)

*snarls at random old women* Print my blog again! I'm not spooked, just surprised and ready.. *sharpens claws*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home