Britty - My Vegan Life

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sharks!

Recently, I got a zoo books magazine and it was all about sharks. Most people are afraid of sharks. Movies, books, and stories about shark attacks scare you into fearing that you'll be one of the 6 people attacked every year. But after I read this magazine, I didn't feel like I would have Jaws stalking my ankles when I went swimming. :)




Sharks are so different from fish, that some scientists wondered whether sharks should even be called "fish" at all! Usually, fish don't have eyelids, but some sharks have three. The had an upper and a lower lip, then a third that protects the entire eye.
To swim, sharks do not have to wriggle their whole body side to side like a fish. They have a powerful fin called the caudal fin that can give them all the power they need. Some sharks and even swim up to 40 miles per hour. Fish are cover with smooth scales, but the shark has a rough skin. You could cut yourself by rubbing it and that is because the skin has lots of tiny teeth. These are called denticals.


The Whale shark is the world's largest fish. It can be more than 45 feet long. Its mouth alone can be five feet wide with rows of 300 teeth. With a mouth that big, it can scoop up lots of very mall plankton, which is its main food source.


I was shocked when I read about some of the things sharks ate! Here they are: Nails, crates, wine bottles, a drum, a box, necklaces, a crown, a licence plate, jackets, and a suite of armor!

4 Comments:

At 5:16 AM, Blogger Cabbages said...

Hey Britty, it's Jamie :)

Great article! I never knew so much about sharks. What's all this about them having sharp skin?? Ouch!

A top read - you have a lovely, flowing style of writing.

Keep it up!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Razzle said...

So, Mr. Shark? What did you have for dinner tonight?

Well, I started with the crate salad sprinkled with garlic nails, then a couple appetizers of fried jackets and necklaces (boy are those good!). My main dish was the Suit of Armor (well done, of course) nestled in a creamy sauce of drums and boxes. For dessert, nothing beats a delicious crown smothered in license plates! And of course, I washed it all down with a few bottles of wine (just the bottles!)

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Candi said...

I will never go to Salisbury again. That top picture does it...

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Hayley said...

That first pic scared me!
Wow, great post! Keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home